Top 6 Countries For Motorcycle Road Trips
1. ArgentinaArgentina conjures images of glaciers, wines, and barbeque but surely not…motorcycle road trips. That’s in case you haven’t heard of Ruta 40, which crosses no less than 11 provinces offering amazing scenery along the way and excellent places to visit. It passes through Mina Pirquitas, the highest city in Argentina and offers access to the Andes. And what best way to explore the country’s majestic beauty than on a BMW motorcycle tour in North Patagonia, which visits Atuel Canyon and Talampaya National Park. And yes, you’ll ride on the famous Ruta 40! In general, spring is the best time to visit, no matter what you plan to visit in Argentina. If you are after some climbing in the Andes, then plan your trip during summer (December to February).
2. RomaniaWhile Romania is not particularly known for the endless miles of highways, it offers two incredible roads suitable for any adrenaline junkie: Transalpina and Transfagarasan. And if mountain roads aren’t your thing, then why not try the roads winding through Transylvania and its gorgeous scenery. Hop on a bike and take a motorcycle tour in the Carpathian Mountains in which you’ll pass by Bucharest, Vidraru Lake, Bigar Waterfall, Brasov, Sighisoara, Sibiu and you’ll be delighted by high-altitude passes and national parks. Winters can be brutal with snow and cold temperatures, while summers can be quite hot. However, if you are planning to travel through the Carpathians, it’s best to plan your trip in summer or early autumn.
3. USA Motorcycle Road TripThe USA is one of the best countries in the world to take a motorbike road trip. Route 66 is, without a doubt, the world’s most famous highway, running from Chicago (Illinois) through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona, before ending in Santa Monica (California). Don’t miss the chance to ride on the great Route 66 during a Dreamcatcher self-guided motorcycle tour, which starts in San Diego and travels through California, Arizona, Nevada, as well as Utah. The best time to visit the USA depends on where you plan to go. If you are heading to the south, avoid the hurricane season (August to October). The weather in California is quite idyllic so plan your trip anytime (unless you want to avoid the mountains which get snow from November to April).
4. ItalyBetween the Amalfi Coast, the Gargano Coast, and the Alps, Italy is home to some of the most stunning road trips in Europe. The Transalpine, which connects Grenoble (France) to Venice (Italy) via the Alps is the most visited road on the continent. If you want to experience lovely coastal, countryside roads and Apennine passes, the self-guided motorcycle tour in Le Marche is an amazing choice. The tour starts in Bologna, visits the Benelli Museum, travels through Umbria, passes by the Morbidelli Museum, before returning to Bologna. If the tour is taking you to popular places, avoid July and August as the weather can get very hot and the crowds are at their highest. In terms of weather, late spring (April to June) and early autumn (September and October) are perfect to explore the country.
5. Vietnam Motorcycle Road TripEveryone has seen photos or videos of Vietnamese cities packed with scooters which zip past cars and pedestrians. So, it only makes sense for Vietnam to offer some of the best motorcycle road trips in the world. While it certainly will be an adventure to tackle the cities, things change once you enter the countryside, where you will ride among rice fields, small villages, and livestock going about their day. Ready to experience the greatest motorcycle adventure in Vietnam? Then get a spot on the off-road motorcycle tour in South Vietnam, with twisty roads and excellent views. You will ride through rubber plantations, visit local villages and an interesting weasel coffee farm. Vietnam has a complicated weather pattern due to the monsoons, so there’s no best time to visit that anyone can recommend. In general, spring (March and April) and autumn (September to December) are good choices, especially if you are going to travel throughout the country.
6. AustraliaSuch a large country has a lot of incredible roads to offer for any petrol head. Try the Great Ocean Road, which stretches for 180 miles (290 km) and starts in Melbourne. Ride through shoreline rainforests, pass by beaches and be amazed by the Shipwreck Coast before ending the ride in Peterborough. Or you can explore the Australian red centre during the Uluru desert express motorbike tour. You get to tackle the sand dunes of Simpson Desert, visit Uluru / Ayers Rock and be awed by the amazing scenery. The huge country experiences various climate patterns. Generally speaking though, the summer (December to March) means higher prices and crowded beaches. So, unless you want to sunbathe, you’d want to avoid this time of the year. The tropical north is best explored during October and November, as well as March to May. The arid interior should be tackled during the transitional seasons (April to June, October, and November). ABOUT THE AUTHOR Cris Puscas Cris is a travel and lifestyle writer for BookMotorcycleTours.com. She loves landscape photography and enjoys discovering scenic drives in the world’s most unusual destinations.
2 Feb 2018